good climbing near Santiago?

For international visitors

Moderadores: Pajarito, Moderator

good climbing near Santiago?

Notapor snowfin el 30 May 2005, 13:12

We're traveling to Chile in August and are wondering if there was some good....maybe north facing.....climbing near Santiago, or not too far away. Maybe someone knows of a good guide book?

Sorry, my spanish is limited. :-[ Any advice would be appreciated.
snowfin

Re:good climbing near Santiago?

Notapor lato el 30 May 2005, 14:04

Just one comment. In the southern hemisphere, the most difficult routes are south faces (in general off course), equivalent to the northern ones in the other half of the planet. So, if I got your intentions right, go an seek for south faces.

You can get some good descrptions at

www.andeshandbook.cl
www.escalando.cl (available in english)

LATO
Hello darkness my old friend, i've come to talk with you again
lato
Ochomilero

Notapor snowfin el 30 May 2005, 15:11

Gracias!

I just mentioned north facing as I thought they would be warmer in winter months.
snowfin

Notapor lato el 30 May 2005, 18:25

Ok. I got it all wrong, didn't I?

Anyway, you can find this info in the links I mentioned.

Greetings,

LATO
Hello darkness my old friend, i've come to talk with you again
lato
Ochomilero

Notapor Andinista el 30 May 2005, 18:46

Última edición por Andinista el 22 Abr 2009, 14:53, editado 1 vez en total
Andinista
Ochomilero Milmilero

Notapor BO el 31 May 2005, 11:18

Snowfin.

You can be sure that You'll get help from many of us, about your climbing questions, but you need to be more explicit in what You are looking for. I mean, are You looking for rock climbing spots close to Stgo????

If it's so, You can take a look to the web pages that Lato already mentioned, but I can give you specific tips with pictures if You want to be aware of the places You can go to climb. For instance, if you want to do Trad Rock climbing, or big walls, the best places I know close to Stgo are Baños Morales, Sn Gabriel, Puente Colina, La Engorda and El Manzano. If you are looking for Sport Rock climbing, You can go to Las Chilcas, El Manzano too, and other places that I could tell You now.

Please be more specific, so we can really help You out, and we can give You, some really good tips so You get the best out of Your time here in our beautiful Chile. Besides, in August the weather could be getting more stable, so some other places can be added to the list a mentioned above.

My best wishes for You.

PD: Any specific info, please do no hesitate and send me a private message so We can be in touch.

Boris
This man is free from servile bands
Of hope to rise or fear to fall,
Lord of himself, though not of lands,
An having nothing, yet hath all.....Sir Henry Wotton
Namaste
BO
Ochomilero

Notapor pirineos el 31 May 2005, 11:23

Tomás:
spanish guide UIAA
english spoken
Skiing and climbing
bery Gud
bery Chip
bery Nais
smoker
contacted in foro
_ Abre los ojos, deseada patria mía, y mira que vuelve a tí Sancho Panza, tu hijo, si no muy rico, muy bien azotado.
pirineos
Ochomilero Milmilero

Notapor rod el 02 Jun 2005, 15:23

yeah, there's plenty of good climbing near Santiago!

www.escalando.cl

unfortunately (or fortunately?) there are no good guide books, but in the websites already mentioned, you can find most of the info you need.

good luck!

rod.
"...pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car..."
Mr. Wolf.
rod
Ochomilero Milmilero

Notapor Gwen el 14 Jun 2005, 22:05

Snowfin

There is good rock climbing near Santiago, but if you are from Colorado, I think you will be disappointed. There are no good guidebooks. Access is a problem, meaning you usually have to cross private land. The websites that Rod and others have given you have good general info, but none will tell you how to get to the base of a climb (unless you know the area VERY well). Also, most of the trad climbs the guys mentioned are either south facing or a bit higher in altitude; there might be nice days in August when you can climb but not many. There is a sport climbing area a bit north on the Panamericana and another just southeast.

Finding a guide here can be problematic. There are no standards, no regulations, no real training program, and I don't think there is even a national mountain guide association. I know of only one IMGA certified guide, possibly there are more. The liability laws here are totally different (i.e. virtually nonexistent), so don't expect to see the same mindset on risk taking (by guides) either.

You are probably best off linking up with someone local, unless you are a very competent leader and are quite confident thrashing about to find climbs. And you are able to wander into difficult (vertical) ground due to poor or nonexistant topos.

I may come across as a bit pessimistic, but after three years here, I think I am just realistic. The mountains are absolutely stunning, and the potential for climbing is enormous. It is just very undeveloped. You might consider ice climbing, as there is actually quite good ice climbing nearby. The ice is in and should remain so through August.

PM me if you want, but do it soon because I am leaving Chile on 30 June.

Gwen
Gwen

Notapor BO el 15 Jun 2005, 10:30

Gwen.

Sorry but I don’t share your rather pessimistic point of view, it seems that your experience here, has not been a good one, and I'm really sorry. Maybe Ypu did'n look in the right places.

If you come to Chile, expecting to find even a 50% of the info. and facilities that you have in USA, you are wrong. In mountaineering matters Chile is still undeveloped, and that’s the reason that websites like this exist.

Maybe you’ll not find enough info. In travel agencies or such places, but You’ll see that there is a lot of people eager to help you out, to find what you need, and this is the right place to start, I believe.

Like I said, You’ll not find here maybe a 50% of what there is in other countries on mountaineering issues, but if You come over, You can be sure that if you look in the right places, You’ll find out that there is a wonderful nature unexplored and waiting for You to see.

And, in the end of the day, You can always look things in a positive way. Not having that much information and facilities, leaves space for You to explore.

Regards, and come to enjoy our beatiful country
Namaste
BO
Ochomilero

Notapor Gwen el 15 Jun 2005, 13:16

Boris

Don't be so defensive. You repeated EXACTLY what I said. It is a beautiful country, undeveloped for climbing, with much less available information. Do not take what I wrote as pessimistic or as critical. Simply realistic. Do not be so quick to take offfense. I did not say that Chile or Chileans were bad.

Believe it or not, I never asked a travel agency for information about climbing as you imply. I am not stupid nor ignorant. I asked people like Eduardo Mondragon and Diego Vergara and Gaston Oryazun, all of with whom I have climbed several times.

Gwen
Gwen

Notapor Andinista el 15 Jun 2005, 19:01

Última edición por Andinista el 22 Abr 2009, 15:07, editado 1 vez en total
Andinista
Ochomilero Milmilero

Notapor BO el 16 Jun 2005, 08:11

Whatever............

Boris a B-6.5
Namaste
BO
Ochomilero

Notapor pirineos el 24 Jun 2005, 07:00

PIRINEOS THE COOL
PIRINEOS THE BEST
U.I.A.A. GUIDE
_ Abre los ojos, deseada patria mía, y mira que vuelve a tí Sancho Panza, tu hijo, si no muy rico, muy bien azotado.
pirineos
Ochomilero Milmilero

Notapor Corina el 04 Abr 2008, 18:55

pirineos escribió:PIRINEOS THE COOL
PIRINEOS THE BEST
U.I.A.A. GUIDE

What?!
Corina
Pochoquero

Siguiente

Volver a English forum